The latest in a continuing series exploring Canada’s golf designers.
Years in industry: 20
Recent work: Heaslip has a project heading into approvals located north of Toronto.
Best Course: Fox Meadow, PEI; Woodington Lake GC, Tottenham, Ont.; Eaglepoint in Kamloops, BC; The Wilds at Salmonier River, Newfoundland
Quote: “Once you’ve worked in Newfoundland, you can build a golf course on asphlt.”
- Has built straight-forward, affordable golf courses throughout Canada
- Several of his Newfoundland courses have been well received, though few outside the province actually have seen them
- Worked with businessman-turned-Premier Danny Williams on course projects
- Not particularly adept at marketing, many are unaware of Heaslip.
- The owner of Heaslip’s best known course in Ontario, Woodington Lake, has altered his initial design.
- His designs are often low-key. Many enjoy them, but few talk about them.
Comment: An interesting, outspoken designer, Heaslip is content to continue under the radar, while his peers, McBroom and Carrick, gain bigger and more prestigious jobs.
What’s possible?: Don’t be surprised if Heaslip builds an affordable design in Ontario that is attractive to the weekend hacker. But even then, most won’t recognize he built it.