I picked up a copy of OG’s Top 50 in Ontario this morning at Magna GC. It makes for interesting reading, especially given the fact the Top 5 of each ranker is included in the publication.
For the record, my top five is:
1) St. George’s
3) Devil’s Paintbrush
4) Eagles Nest
So now that I’m on the record, I must admit there are several things that perplex me about the list, and others that clarify some issues.
- A vast majority of the 55 panelists had a top three that consisted of National, St. George’s and Hamilton in some order. Hard to argue with, though I’m simply not as fond of National as some others are. It isn’t that I don’t respect the course — it is just simply so hard that I have a difficult time enjoying it.
- I haven’t seen two courses on the list (Mad River, which I will see next week, and Essex GC)
- There are some strange rankings within the panel. Former Magna ED David Kaufman, apparently removed from the days when he argued his former course was the best in the province, doesn’t include St. George’s in his Top 5, which is hard to imagine. Stranger still is Golfscene publisher Norm Woods including Grey Silo and Cutten Club in his top five. He must not have seen St. G or National. That’s the only rational explanation. Similarly, Kevin Corriveau, listed as “Ontario PGA Tournament Captain” (whatever that is), doesn’t have Hamilton or St. George’s in his Top 5, but picks Essex as the best in the province. Now that’s just plain wrong.
- Hard to fathom some of the actual choices within the list. Galt CC is a fine member’s course, but it is pretty hard to argue it is in the top 50 in the province, with courses like Burlington and Bond Head not on the list. And is there a more overrated course than Granite Golf? And don’t even get me started about Seguin Valley.
- And where in the world is Maple Downs? In my mind this quiet Jewish club is in the Top 25 in Canada. But it doesn’t even make the OG list. Why? Because no one has seen it? That’s the only explanation.
- Is Brantford G&CC really better than Glen Abbey (which was in excellent condition when I played it last week)? Really?