I’ve written for Ontario Golf — or OG as it is known — since 2001 when Ted McIntyre took the position of editor and launched the publication. Today OG announced its fifth biennial Top 50 ranking, which apparently includes a Top 100 online.
The website is pretty thorough, including a Top 50 throughout the five times OG has done the rating.
Here’s the Top 10:
1. St. Georges G&CC, Etobicoke, Ont. (43.64)*
2. The National GC, Woodbridge, Ont. (43.40)
3. Hamilton G&CC, Ancaster, Ont. (42.00)
4. Westmount G&CC, Kitchener, Ont. (34.66)
5. Beacon Hall GC, Aurora, Ont. (29.94)
6. Bigwin Island GC, Lake of Bays, Ont. (28.49)
7. Devils Paintbrush, Caledon, Ont. (28.42)
8. Muskoka Bay GC, Gravenhurst, Ont. (28.40)
9. Coppinwood GC, Uxbridge, Ont. (28.22)
10. Oviinbyrd GC, Muskoka, Ont. (28.00)
Here’s my Top 5:
So what caught my eye?
- The split between the National and St. George’s — essentially both courses are practically tied for first place.
- Oviinbyrd moving into the Top 10. A pretty quiet club that hasn’t made most lists simply because raters aren’t exactly welcomed with wide open arms. Note there are three Muskoka courses in the Top 10 and five in the Top 20. Are 25% of the best courses actually located in Muskoka? Really?
- Is Mississaugua, even with new greens, the 15th best course in the province? To my mind I don’t think it is better than Scarboro, which is more than 10 spots lower.
- Essex at 20? I really liked the course, but it would slot 20 spots lower on my list. I think you’d be hard pressed to argue it is better than Rosedale, which is WAY too low at 37. Essex was ranked #1 in the province by a judge — again (same judge as last time.)
- Nice to see Tarandowah at 30. A lot of love for the place, but I wonder if that will slip in time.
- Cutten Club makes the Top 50. Couldn’t happen to a nicer club.
- Angus Glen South at 50. Remember when this was considered Top 10 material. What happened?
- Grand Niagara at 52, ahead of really good golf courses like Kawartha (should be in the Top 50), Maple Downs (ditto).
- Firerock in London behind the Oaks? Come on. Not even close here.
- Glencairn at 97? Behind The Rock? Tom McBroom must be rolling his eyes.
- Osprey Valley‘s wasteland course, which I played today, is Top 25 material in Canada, without a doubt.
- Someone rated Cobble Beach as the top course in the province. Good certainly — but that great. Nope.